Thursday, April 17, 2008

Overload!

Internship Defense Letter, Program Specific Analysis, Civic Engagement and Informational Interview write ups, a final draft of the term paper, an Honors Thesis prospectus for next semester, a weekend in New York, and taking over my Supervisor's duties – to put it mildly, over this past week my life has been turned upside down! The tragedy is that for now I'm spending more time thinking about all I have to do rather than actually doing it but I can't be blamed for hesitating to take a leap into this ocean of work!

I walked into the office last Tuesday only to find out that my supervisor had found a new position on the Hill and would be gone by the end of the week. To replace him, there would a fresh application and interview process, which could take at least a couple of weeks if not more than a month. Hence, when everyone looked around to see who could fill his shoes till we found a real replacement, all eyes settled on me! I did already know what he did and had assisted him over the past few months, so in some sense it wasn't an irrational choice. But hey, he was paid to do all that work and I'm a mere intern! My one privilege, I got his desk and chair, much more spacious and comfortable than mine! And they told me today, that if I were graduating at the end of this semester, I would most definitely be hired as his replacement. A case of bad timing then, I guess.

My mom just called me and after talking to her for about 30 minutes I feel completely drained of energy and the will to do anything (no offense to you maman, I'm sure you feel quite the same). Back at home in India my sister is being difficult about her college decisions, there's a hundred other problems that I need to address here in the U.S., no one is too happy with the way things are going, and I really just want to hit 'Quit.' But I know I will go to bed soon and tomorrow will be a new day, renewed optimism, and recharged batteries. Hopefully I can actually get started on some of the things I need to accomplish within the next 1-2 days.

I also have a lot of DC sights to see before I leave (only 3 and a half weeks to go). But at the rate that my "Things To Do" list is growing, I think I'm only going to get to see them if and when I ever come back to visit. The weather is excellent and this would be the perfect weekend to do some serious sightseeing but when you've got a thesis prospectus to write and a portfolio to put together, there's no time to tango around town.

I'm off to bed now in an attempt to rise early and burn all this negative energy on the treadmill.

No comments: