Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Computer Strikes Back!

This is the email I wrote to my Program Advisor last Thursday which should also explain why my Wednesday blog comes to you today and has no pictures of Cherry Blossom or happy feelings attached.

Hi Sweeta,

I will try my best to make it this Monday for the Portfolio Workshop and the Korea Panel. I know I owe you a journal but my laptop died last evening and now I have a thousand things to do but no way to get them done. I have an appointment at the Apple Store this evening so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix it. My 10 page paper draft is due in Tuesday's class, my blog was due yesterday, and my journal was due on Monday. Basically, I’m screwed. Also, I have no back up so if they say the hard disk is gone I end up losing all my research, all my documents since I started college, more than 7000 photos, my music, my life!

And if you thought it couldn’t get any worse, my flat mate Nay's keyboard broke the other day so now none of us have functional computers in the apartment. Our third flat mate had a desktop which was acting up a lot so he took it home over Easter weekend.

This really is the worst time for my trusted machine to turn its back on me!

A very distraught, yet dramatic,

Rattan

The “Genius” at the Apple Store was clueless when it came to diagnosing my white baby’s ailment. It just wouldn’t turn on and he didn’t have any tricks up his sleeve to revive it. “This will have to go into repair,” he declared as my heart sank. How long will it take? What about all my data? I have a 10 page paper due next Tuesday…all my research, my draft! Zilch. Nada. Lesson learnt: Technology can turn its back on you when you need it most so don’t invest your all in it (I wish).

So, my computer is in repair, I paid $150 to have them back up my data since they couldn’t guarantee that it will be on the machine when it returns. On another front, I talked my flat mate into buying a Mac (even after he saw what happened to mine – but hey, if I had a Dell it probably would’ve happened two years ago and so far I’ve had very positive experiences with Apple Care).

My time at work is being spent juggling between real work and using the available computer to catch up on email and sometimes even facebook. Sorry Boss :-/ I will tell you more about my weekend and why I still haven’t been to the festival in Wednesday’s post (which will, if I can manage it at work, come to you more or less on time).

Tchau

No comments: