Thursday, March 13, 2008

Float On

Making my way up to Adam's Morgan (it's a bit of a walk from the Metro), I worked up quite an appetite and went on to realize that the key to really enjoying a brunch is being hungry enough! Here's a peak of what that truly lively neighborhood has to offer on a Sunday afternoon:

1) Perry's
1811 Columbia Road, NW. Washington, DC

Let Perry's be your one culinary splurge in the Capital! I don't know what makes this place the perfect spot for Sunday recreation, but its location (18th Street & Columbia Road – the heart of Adam's Morgan), eclectic menu (mac&cheese meets sake toro meets duck confit), and the special drag brunch on Sunday mornings give it a flavor that you're not going to find anywhere in the vicinity. Did I mention they had rooftop dining (the weather is visibly better now), and plenty on offer for more "new age" (read vegan) food preferences?

2) Lauriol Plaza
1835 18th Street, NW. Washington, DC

No Brunch survey is complete without atleast one Mexican joint in the mix. I considered talking about Oyamel again, but since I already recommended it to you in my first blog, I'll give you another spot to add to your ever-growing list of "much check outs"! Lauriol Plaza gives you the option to choose, there's everything from seafood and shrimp, to Spanish sausage, and English muffins. I strongly vouch for the Mahi Mahi Mazatlan but the Huevos Rancheros brings together a lot of my favorites (beans, cheese, eggs, and fresh fruit!) in one helluva mouth-watering combo J. If you have any room left for dessert (c'mon, you can share it with your friend(s)), dig into some homemade coconut ice cream!

3) Mezè
2437 18th Street, NW. Washington, DC

In my continuing quest to find you the best cuisine from all corners of the globe, I think Mezè is a must for every lover of chickpeas and kebab (me)! Their weekend brunch runs from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday and includes Boreks (Anatolian rolls), Gozleme (Turkish crepes), and a Cantaloupe Berry Boat for the fruit aficionados. This joint doubles up as a bar/lounge in the evening and even has a special "Eat Late" menu. So if you can't make it to brunch, bring your friends here after work and lounge around. The music might make you want to break out those new moves, and the Turkish cocktails and beers will only add to the authenticity of the experience!

That's all for Brunch Banter this week, but Dupont Circle is next in the line of fire!

I can't close without expressing my disgust with Spitzer and his sleazy ways. It just really pains me to see his wife standing there next to him, while he publicly owns up to his actions and consequently resigns. To think that he has three teenage daughters, all younger than I, who have to deal with their father's infidelity, go out every morning and face the world, read the hostile headlines, and watch their mother in such anguish...it really breaks my heart. The Republicans and the media are having a field day with the whole thing and it is rather unfortunate that someone's personal failings make such gripping tabloid fodder. Well, who can say the man doesn't deserve it, but can the wife and the children be spared?

No comments: