Thursday, February 14, 2008

When Work and Weather act Wonky!

It is positively disgusting outside – those itsy bitsy high velocity, low intensity, party popping, never stopping raindrops that freeze when they touch down, coating every square inch, causing you to slip and fall even before you can even think – urgh! Such are the adverse conditions we are dealing with here in DC while the New Yorkers 'enjoy' mounds of crunchy white fresh fallen snow, and a white valentines!

So strange that all week I seem to have things to write on this blog but by the time I actually get down to typing it, my brain goes into 'sleep' mode. Honestly, I just want to get to the two final episodes of HBO's Rome (Season 2). Any followers of the show would know exactly how I feel at this critical juncture (for the uninitiated/not so intuitive – I feel like abandoning this blog and popping that DVD into my comp!). Before you form any impressions (i.e. he would abandon creative communication in favour of ogling at the idiot box?!) let me make it clear that I AM NOT some TV junkie, actually I DO NOT watch TV at all. Even if I really wanted to follow a show, given my extremely unpredictable schedule with its minute-to-minute changes, I never really could. Being home at the same time, two weeks in a row is quite impossible. Hence I allow my friends and family to 'gently coerce' (paradox?) me into watching the truly exceptional, usually by way of DVD. Last Christmas (Dec 2006), my darling friend Inna visited me in India, bringing me Rome Season 1 and that's when I got hooked...

Went to an excellent panel discussion yesterday titled "Re-Calculating Annapolis," and I thought the ideas thrown around by the panelists were markedly different from the usual rhetoric on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. The consensus, if anything, was that time is not on our side and what is required is fast action addressing the plight of the hundreds of thousands of Gazans who are living in an "open air prison" with something like 80% unemployment and 70% dependence on aid from international organizations. A situation as hopeless as this would only breed fundamentalism, and the threat of radical action arising from this region has the potential of triggering a full scale war in the Middle East. I won't go into the specific recommendations that were discussed but I'd be happy to talk about them with anyone who's interested...I took diligent notes!

Today, however, I was assigned the cumbersome, mind-numbing task of data entry that I performed as per command but struggled to conceal my misery! Every half an hour or so, I needed a 5-10 minute breather, some food for thought, just to ensure my brain was still performing its thinking function and had not turned into some mechanical reading-typing-clicking apparatus. I made it through today but there's just another gazillion responses to log :(

One 'victory' this week – I managed to take the placement test at the Alliance Française French Institute, DC and register for a class there, starting February 25. It's been three weeks since I made that transatlantic voyage back from Paris, but I think about it every single day...from the petit café and pain au chocolat for breakfast to the sheer variety of architectural styles on display just en route from my apartment to class (I almost completely abandoned the metro after the first month...Paris is meant to be enjoyed on foot!). Well i've been feeling the need to re-kindle my relationship with France but being in DC the best I can do is Alliance. I'm hoping this will keep my language skills alive and well-exercised and possibly further my written and conversational capabilities. Goal: Achieve fluency before graduating college.

I formulated some hefty goals for my TWC Learning Objectives Statement, I think I need to print it out and stick it on the fridge just to remind myself of what i've promised to accomplish. You know what, I'm going to take them on with the greatest amount of positive energy I can muster and see where things go from there!

Hmph...I think for once in my life I'm running out of things to say (Don't you get the feeling that today is Marc Anthony's day?!). So I'm going to put my virtual pen down, only to pick it up exactly where I left off, next week, same time, same place. Hence lets cut to the chase –

Happy Valetines Day! Happy Presidents Day!

This weekend I'm off to New York City...hope you have something better in your kitty ;)

(ok this really has got to stop NOW)

Tchau Tchau Tchau








My notion of "Health Food"













Lazy Sunday leads to Busy Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wheee! Love the post. I loved your descriptions of stuff. I read and look at so many blogs that bore the crap out of me. Love to see another TWC blogger that has a sense of humor like me.

~S. Dawn Jones